Thursday, October 6

The Job of a Sculptor

I'm going to do my very best not to become a sentimental fool who revels in metaphorical writing; however, every part of life right now seems to call for it...so bear with me! Here's the latest metaphor:

I'm not up on my history of sculpture, but the one first-hand experience I had with it was when I was 15-years-old, working with a caterer in Wheeling. This guy, Rocco, did incredible ice sculptures for some of the bigger engagements we served. I didn't realize this at the time, but the work of a sculptor is so much like that of a developing human being. If you think about it, they begin with this mass of their medium--in Rocco's case, a large block of ice. From this, a gentle and intricate form would take form as the excess was chipped away. Hope you're still with me...because this is where it gets so good.

We're all pretty much born with the same "stuff"--our medium. As life progresses, though, we gently begin to chip away at the layers of stuff that we consider excess or irrelevant to us. And right now, in my present situation, I really feel that that is what's a huge part of my daily job. I mean, sure, I'm working at Borders and going to school, but I'm also putting together my self (and that is supposed to be two words). I just love discovering new stuff about myself...likes, dislikes, talents, wells of emotion and stuff. It's just a cool thing to investigate yourself every once in awhile...I definitely recommend it.

In connection with this tangent, I have to throw out the highlights of my day. I worked the day away, shelving and such, at Borders. Highlight #1? My new-found friend (and what a perfect friend she is), Sara, made a pit stop at Borders while I was on my dinner break. It's great to find myself already so accustomed to her wonderfully kind and warm Midwestern intonation...funny how this world connects people who would not have otherwise met. Which takes me to my closing detail.

Highlight #2: I met a great customer tonight, named Kimberly, who grew up in Pittsburgh. And she gave me the best compliment. She was looking for this yoga book on meditations and stuff...she wanted multiple copies to share it with others, so I did some calling to other stores and stuff to attain her copies for her. As I called like the third place, she told me that my kindness reminded her of the friendly people from "our region." Not to bash the Main Line in Philadelphia, but the naturally friendly tend to lack in the area at times. People are just a bit more distant here...not all of them, to be fair. But, I would say that's one of the big things that delineates my hometown from here. In any case, I find that to be one of my favorite parts of my sculpture...I want to be that person who makes someone feel good in the day as much as possible. Can you think of many things that make you feel the same way as helping another? Hmmm...I'll have to brainstorm on that one. In any case, it was refreshing to 1)come into contact with someone who knows home, and 2)have someone appreciate kindness as not all do.

I'm off to pack for a weekend at home. I will keep the blog up, though, so stay tuned!

No comments: