Tuesday, October 25

Meditations on Snowbird


Before explaining the concept of Snowbird, I have to admit that I'm pining for Wheeling right now. Not so much due to the usual reasons--my favorite people, etc.--but because IT'S SNOWING!!! I first discovered that this may happen when I returned, soaking wet, from my trek across Villanova's campus in the very cold pouring rain last night and spoke to my friend, Becky, on the phone. She said they were calling for snow this morning in Wheeling. I just sort of shrugged it off, thinking there was no way that it'd snow...but my sister (aka Snowbird) called me this morning, and the weathermen were so right. She lives in the higher elevations, and she said there was probably about a half of an inch already. This brought the word jealous to mind for me...

Now for the digression...I have always enjoyed the winter elements for all of their benefits. I got to miss school, I got to stay in the warm house, drinking hot cocoa, eating all day, and just hanging out all while watching the snow fall outside. Another one of my favorite parts of the winter weather is the quiet that comes with it. I've mentioned, I think, the quiet of mornings before...but the winter quiet is different when there's snow involved. I love walking out into the fresh snow and hearing the normal sounds of the world only muted by the snow--probably my favorite phenomenon of winter. Sledriding used to be one of my favorite things until like 3rd grade when my brother sent me down a huge hill on a saucer, my least favorite sled, and I crashed into concrete steps, head-first. And the last winter element that I absolutely adore is winter clothing/gear. From cool coats to scarves to sweaters...I don't think summer wardrobe choices can even come close to comparing.

So while all of those are things I love about winter, I have to give my sister, Erin, a shout out because she's, admittedly, even more of a diehard winter fan. When we were all still at home, I clearly remember her being able to ramble off the snow predictions like they were her date of birth. It was always fascinating to me...she seemed like she had the meteorologist gene or something. In any case, one of the TV stations from home, WTOV-9, came up with the Snowbird figure, which is a cartoon penguin that indicates impending snowfall or school cancellations/delays. As winters passed, we all realized we had a snowbird right in residence with us...Erin. Thus, to this day, she is known as Snowbird, and her call and weather report has proven to me that no matter how far I go, my Snowbird will still be loyal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tribute. You can always count on me for an accurate forecast. Hopefully when you come home for Christmas we can build a snowman together with Seth.

Anonymous said...

Courtney-courtney-bo-bourtney!
Do you remember our trip to the emergency room and Krogers in the midst of the white-out, and then laughing hysterically when we got home?

When I think "Courtney" and "Snow" in one sentence, that's the memory that comes to mind.

How 'ya been?
Q

zionriverresortzion said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Being snowbirds has given you a new perspective on your lives, and it's great that you're taking these habits home.

Zion RV Park Snowbirds