Tuesday, November 8

Song of Sara


To continue with my latest obsession with people and relationships...(this will end soon--I promise). As opposed to Walt Whitman's famous Song of Myself, I think a Song of Sara is only appropriate.

I have to do a shoutout to Sara for several reasons. Most of all, though, because her trip away from Philly this past weekend allowed me the opportunity to see how much she has become a part of my life out here and how much this means to me. While I know that I have established a larger family of Borders friends, I know that not every friend is created equal. So, my best comparison for how Sara has come to be incorporated into my life is to compare her to a family member. I think everybody needs a little family everywhere they go, and I think I have been lucky enough to meet someone out here who totally fulfills that need for me. I feel at ease being myself in every situation, without concern for being judged, and I know that, no matter what, I can count on her. It's really an incredible thing because it changes my whole attitude about if I'll survive on my own. I no longer worry that I'm on my own--because I'm not.

I think the fact that everytime I thought about how I missed having her around this weekend, I also had an overwhelming feeling of hope that she was having nothing but fun goes to show the imprint she's left. The self-absorbed, selfish majority of me usually completely fails to worry about the needs of others--on impulse. I usually have the insight to readjust that impulse to include the needs of others, but I think it's a sign of the presence of a true friend when you automatically jump to concern for them as well as yourself.

To prevent any further digressions, I just want to wrap this up by saying Philly would not be Philly without Sara and sitting in a little pizza/sandwich joint like Pizzi's is like fine dining when accompanied by her awesome self. Thanks, Sara.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Thanks, Courtney! You are fantastic! We were meant to meet and become friends. We have a lot of fun times ahead of us!