Sunday, March 12

Good Description

As I shopped with my friend, Sara, yesterday, I realized many things. They were all sort of summed up, though, in a rather random comment and discussion we had between King of Prussia and Wynnewood.

The less serious realizations? I'm so bad at making decisions about professional attire purchases. Part of this is undoubtedly related to the fact that it's just not as much fun as finding casual dress purchases. The other part is I've never had to take it seriously before. But, with my new job comes new expectations. Should be fun! The other thing I realized is how I do not discriminate when it comes to malls. I hate the thought of tackling King of Prussia, but I will jump at any chance to enter it...just as I did yesterday. At the very same time, I thoroughly enjoyed the offering of the much smaller and much less crowded Springfield Mall. Final minor realization? I have lots of driving to do in order to become more acquainted with what Philly and its suburbs have to offer. Sara's a pro at this and makes me want to expand my horizons. So, now on to the more serious realization...

As I've commented before in my blog, Sara and I moved here to Philadelphia around the same time--on the same day, in fact. So, we've both had the advantage of the support from one another throughout all of the ups and downs of making a big move like that. Yesterday, though, Sara made a comment about no longer feeling heartbroken about moving here, and that particular description really struck a chord for me. It impressed me that she was able to admit to herself, as well as to me, that she was truly feeling that sad about being here. In addition, though, I know and could admit to myself for the first time that I had been feeling the same way but was afraid to admit it to either myself or others. Granted, our situations are a little different (she had little choice but to move and support her husband's success whereas I totally made this decision on my own), but it's still nice to know that it's at the very least okay to feel this way.

This is not to say that Philadelphia hasn't been good to me and for me. I have grown more in the past months than I have ever before in my life. But, I think when a life event serves to put a lot of stuff into perspective for a person, he/she cannot help but feel a little bit of mixed feelings. I am not always glad I'm here in Philadelphia, but I will make the best of it. I will continue to successfully engage in those things that I have chosen to be a part of, I will open myself up to new experiences, and I will always keep my roots holding strong at the very center of all of this. While this has not been the joy ride that my inexperienced self thought it would be, I couldn't have found a better corner of the world within which to experience it. I have been very fortunate to have met such wonderful people and to have had the opportunities that I have thus far had.

No comments: