Monday, May 15

Anger Management

Did you see this movie? Sure, it left a lot to be desired. But, I do adore both Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler, so I must act like I at least sort of liked it. But, I'm not about to blog on a totally undesirable flick from long ago...this is just a segway into the real drama...
This past Saturday, I did a one day gig at Borders because there was an author signing, and I had agreed to do so quit awhile ago. At one point much later in the day, more towards the end of my shift, I took a page that called for register help. Of course, the line had gotten fairly backed up, so I ended up checking out quite a few customers. As I was doing so, however, I noticed another cashier, Greg, raising his voice to a customer. While Greg seems a soft-spoken, easy-going type, I have to say that both times I've witnessed him raising his voice, customers have walked away very unhappy...kind of ironic.

So, it turned out that he was arguing with a customer who was purchasing books from the 3 for 2 table. And the customer wanted the most expensive book to be free while Greg was trying to explain that it's built into the register to take the least expensive off. The customer did not want to accept this. So, then one of the supervisors, Jen, steps in and explains the situation to the customer. He still didn't want to accept it. It ended with him walking away, Jen yelling that he forgot his credit card, and him telling her to keep it. She insisted that that was not possible. Use your imagination to fill in the blanks, but the next thing I hear over the headset is Jen calling for the general manager to come help because there's an emergency situation--a customer is threatening her.

Next thing I know, there are 4 cops coming into the store, intending to take care of the customer. All of this over the 3 for 2 table!!! So, they take statements from everyone and leave. Then, Jen tells me that as soon as the cops saw the man that they said, "Oh, we know this guy...he's a regular troublemaker down at the tire shop." The what? The tire shop? As I said to Jen, 1) Why the tire shop? and 2) How many times do you frequent the tire shop in a year's or, in his case, month's time?

I think I'm very relieved to have my quiet corner in Main Building at Rosemont. It's just me and the ivy...thank God.

No comments: