Tuesday, May 23

Travel Log, Entry #2: Black Mountain, NC

As originally promised, I am going to move to my next entry in my blog travel log. The photo to the right was taken during my Spring Break 2005 trip to Black Mountain, North Carolina, with my friend Rachel and another one of her friends, Amanda. We drove down on a Sunday, stayed with some of Rachel's family in Black Mountain, and we returned to West Virginia on Wednesday of that week. Looking back, I think this was a great trip to take. It was a great prelude to my coming year of change and relocation, and, best of all, I got to visit a place where I had never been, see new things, and bond with some folks I would have never had the chance to bond with otherwise.

On the drive down to NC, I got to see parts of West Virginia I had not, see parts of Virginia never seen before, and indulge in some of the best parts of roadtrips--very unhealthy snacks and fun conversation. I remember one of my hugest concerns at the time was signing a lease for the apartment I was to move into in Pittsburgh...needless to say, I never got there. In any case, I'm not usually one to confidently dive into situations where I'll be surrounded by very new people--especially if I will not have the chance to take breathers. This was one of those times, though, so I was a little hesitant, but as I saw new scenery and roadsigns, marking towns formerly unknown to me, I knew I was doing the right thing by going along.
While in Black Mountain, a very laid back and quaint town that also serves as home to the long-time Evangelical preacher, Billy Graham, we did lots of fun yet self-reflective sort of activities, since all three of us were there to try to find some clarity. Amanda and I chose to hang at a great little coffee shop, the Dripolator, the first day...I read The Handmaid's Tale and Amanda studied for some upcoming finals in her graduate-level Physical Therapy program. Then, Rachel's family took us to dinner in Asheville after a day of hiking trails and observing waterfalls. Asheville quickly became my favorite tourist destination in the U.S. I love the layout of the city...sort of hippie-style yet a real city, with city-like buildings and businesses. And it's tucked amidst this amazing lay of land. We also hiked the area surrounding the family's home, and in the evenings, we enjoyed some fun like board games and cards.

As we drove out of Black Mountain, it was a beautiful sunny morning, and all three of us hated to leave yet knew at the very same time that it had served its purpose and must be preserved as one of those sacred places that we will escape to for relief from the complexities of life. As we drove away, U2's "Beautiful Day" blared over the car stereo, and I actually could feel tears in my eyes, amazed how the mere beauty of nature and new surroundings can renew your perspective on life. I will never forget the lessons of Black Mountain...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Black Mountain to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane