Saturday, September 2

Fall is Moving In

Nothing makes me happier than to go to bed with the windows open and waking up in the morning to the sounds of the outdoors. While I'm a huge fan of white noise and its perks, I have to say that the birds and the smells of late summer/early fall mornings are money. Even further, it was a relief to wake up this morning, grab my favorite sweatshirt and cuddle up on the couch with my blanket and coffee. I would argue that although you can pull this routine off in the luxury of air conditioning, it's just not the same as doing it in the autumn chill.

For some reason, I have become a major anomaly in today's society. Everyone makes comments, and rightfully so, about how the invention of air conditioning was one of the wonders of the world. I love air conditioning; I have especially loved it through this summer when Wheeling and apparently everywhere else in the country became the fiery gates of hell, with temps soaring into the upper 90s, day in and day out. But, back to why I've become an anomaly, which is totally related to this air conditioning tangent. I seem to be going against the grain as I segway into my adult life. While most make a point of having air conditioning, it seems an option to me. To show this, my car has no air conditioning, and my apartment has no whole house air. I did invest in an air conditioner, but it's so funny to see others react both to the fact that my car is not equipped with it and that I am actually using the seemingly stone age technology of a room air conditioning unit.

What excites me about the change of seasons just as much as being able to sleep with the windows open is having this topic of discussion go into hibernation. Perhaps it's because I'm naturally cool, perhaps it's just that I'm not the air conditioning type or old fashioned...but it seems a detail to me, so why worry? I see it this way...I would way prefer my car and my apartment to not having either; so, with or without air conditioning, they both suffice and fulfill my needs. The fact that fall is coming will help out in my accidental mission to prove air conditioning is a non-issue. And it also means football season(s), changing leaves, and the crisp fall air!

No comments: