Monday, August 20

Here's Looking at You

A new pitfall of public transportation: being stuck for something to look at for the ride. This is probably the worst while on the subway. You're in such close quarters usually, and everyone is painfully searching for something that they can focus on. This is usually a successful move if gazing at the various advertisements in your car. You're golden if you've brought along your own reading or entertainment. But, in the case that you're stuck going in search of your focus, it can be a downright desperate search. I am a fan of the advertisements, regardless of how boring they are or how far from my interest the advertised product or service is from my own, they always pull through when you need them most. The worst, though, is when you go in search and either due to your position or your car, there is absolutely nothing to turn to for gazing. As a result, I usually start out looking down, but then I realize that others probably look at me and think I'm in some deep mourning or something. If this does happen, and I'm stuck looking down, then I've found it's important to look as though you're in deep thought. That look also lends to your credibility as a seasoned traveler, I think.

In any case, I usually try to find something...anything...to get fixed on. In the process of searching, if I happen to meet the eyes of another commuting New Yorker, then I am quickly reminded that the myth of New Yorkers who don't stare is just that...a myth. In fact, just about everytime I have met the eyes of another, it's me who has to break the eye contact. They're kind of intimidating like that. But, then again, I always remind myself, they're just another passenger on the same train, looking for something to stare at for a few stops. And if I can be of service in providing myself as a focal point, then I'm happy to oblige. I just hope when I do happen to choose another person as my focus that they aren't quick to judge me as strange or rude. After all, appreciating the beauty of others (or quirks) is a cornerstone of culture!

No comments: