Saturday, March 31

Current Obsession: California Pizza Kitchen

I can confidently say that never before have I found an extremely delicious and satisfying frozen pizza.  There have been okay or good ones along the way, but there has always been something in the taste that would remind me with every bite that they had been frozen and not exactly fresh.  Then, California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizzas entered my life.  They have several different types, of course, but the only one I've tried (and fallen in love with) is the margherita.

I have determined the key to deliciousness is to follow the directions exactly and bake the pizza directly on the oven rack.  I've attempted to save the small mess a few times by placing a pan on the rack below or foil on the rack below to capture any droppings of cheese, but this prevents the full crispy potential of the pizza.  If the directions are followed, you end up with the crispiest and most fresh tasting frozen pizza out there.  Paired with a fresh veggie side, such as asparagus or sugar snap peas, this can also make for a not-too-unhealthy but quick dinner.

After I realized there is an actual restaurant chain behind the pizzas, I started to think about how much trouble I'd be in if I were to live near one.  (I would compare the danger to that I experienced while living in Philadelphia, where there was a building across the street from Borders--where I worked--that housed a Peace of Pizza in one end of the building and a Hope's Cookies in the other.)  If you go to the restaurant's web site and look at the menu offerings, it'll leave your mouth watering.  

So, next time you're in a pinch for a quick dinner fix or simply want a back-up for the unplanned late night at the office, I highly recommend one of these creations.

No comments: