Friday, April 6

Baking for the Bunny


Betty Crocker Easter Basket Cake
 One of my favorite parts of being "all grown up" is contributing to family gatherings and meals.  Despite the realization that any cooking or baking adventure could go terribly wrong, I fairly consistently choose to try new and exciting creations rather than old favorites.  This tactic could most definitely fail me at some point, but so far it's turned out well each time and it has proven a fun endeavor for me each time. 

I have been put in charge of dessert for Sunday's Easter dinner.  Initially, I thought of doing a pineapple upside down cake.  I am not sure why, but I remember that being one of my very first baking experiences.  I guess it must have seemed pretty basic to me at the time.  In any case, after some thought, especially about what could be a little more fun for the kids attending, I've decided to go with the Easter Basket Cake recipe from Betty Crocker (pictured above).   

Rather than going with the proscribed yellow cake with chocolate frosting, I'm going to instead go with a chocolate cake and vanilla frosting.  I haven't decided on a color yet, but my frosting will be some fantastic Easter basket color with equally fantastic Easter "grass" placed on top.  Lastly, in place of the large jelly beans pictured (since they're not a personal favorite), I will place Whopper Eggs on top instead. 

I'm not sure which to be more excited about:  serving my role of "hider" for the annual Easter egg hunt for the kids or my role of dessert extraordinaire.  I guess I'll decide after seeing the results and level of success of my efforts at the latter.

No comments: