Tuesday, September 10

Habitat for Humanity, Garden-Style

Last week, I posted some thoughts on the general differences in ecosystems between my old and new neighborhoods.  Since then, it's like the ecosystem gods have taken up residence in my flower gardens and yard.

When I moved into my new neighborhood, Tucker and I came across what turned out to be a Japanese willow (aka Hakuro Nishiki or dappled willow).  Nevermind the lady's yard it was in is a garden oasis, but I could not help but fall in love with this tree with every single loop past it that we took.  By chance, I drove past a local nursery and saw that they had some in stock, and after lots of thought (probably too much), I finally caved and bought two for in front of my home.  I'm in love with my new baby trees just as much as I am the beautiful mature one a block over.  In addition to my willows, I also planted a pink flowering dogwood tree in my backyard, and there's a large assortment of flowers in front of my house that were planted not long after I moved in.  They include several hydrangeas, knockout roses, dahlias, phlox and a few other types of groundcover.  I've also cycled through some different annuals along the way as well, with the current being some pretty orange and red mums.

This collective group of flowers and trees has brought out some really cool (and sometimes creepy) creatures.  This weekend, after planting the willows, I was inspecting the leaves and branches on one of the two.  I had to look really close to spot a super cool caterpillar that had a bright green body and a robust blanket of white hair/pricklies (to use a very technical term).  The awesome part of this little creature was that it completely mimicked the leaves of the tree.  These are the small things that leave me super humbled by nature's greatness.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid the caterpillar's extensive camouflage failed it because I walked around the corner of the house a bit later to a bird in the tree--and the caterpillar could not be found.  Another fascinating tree creature was this little caterpillar that was the exact color of the brown shoots off of the branches.  I had to tap it to ensure it was not the actual branch, and sure enough it arched its little back and confirmed my suspicion.

In the flower gardens, the initial assortment of creatures was limited to toads, potato bugs and spiders.  Throughout summer, though, there have been several other visitors, including the praying mantis and many many grasshoppers and crickets.  More recently, when things cooled down, there were so many leaping visitors, I was dancing around the front yard with my hose in hand and surely bringing entertainment to the neighbors.  Tonight, as I watered, a large toad very slowly emerged from underneath one hydrangea--I took this to mean that word had spread among the garden creatures that they big woman with the hose gets dangerous and quick if they emerge too quickly.

Overall, nature has humbled me with its return offerings since my flowers and trees have been planted.  I really look forward to seeing what else will join us!

No comments: