Tuesday, October 15

A Favorite Place

Several years ago, while living in New Jersey and working in New York City, I decided to embark on a spiritual journey.  I went through the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) at St. Mary's Parish.  It was during this process that I met some pretty fantastic Catholic friends, including Sister Gloria (my favorite nun of all time) and Fr. Mike (one of the coolest priests I've met in all time).

And so, armed with my new faith, when I moved back to the Ohio Valley, I attended mass at a few different spots and decided St. Joseph's Cathedral was the place for me.  Growing up, this cavernous cathedral had its rather intimidating moments for me.  I played violin, and it was one of the spots I would play as part of a quartet from time to time.  Pressure and I have never had a great relationship, but despite the consistent case of nerves that accompanied my trips here, I always felt a very deep connection to the space and felt peace come over me in a very special way.

Now, though, this is one of my favorite places.  In the weeks of rushing around and being distracted, when I go here for mass on the weekends, it's like a gift to myself.  From the moment I walk in, and kneeling in prayer hear the trickling of the water at the fountain and the subtle sounds of chants, I leave the all-intrusive material world for a much better place.  The homily always hits home--from discussion about the various types of prayer, an emphasis on thanksgiving, to discussion about being aware of existing faith we have rather than asking for more.  Reminded of so much beauty and love, I walk away refreshed, recharged and spiritually full to the brim.  Thank you, St. Joseph's Cathedral.  You are still breathtaking after all of these years.      

No comments: