Thursday, October 27

Life with Q


I got home from work tonight with such a refreshing taste of home waiting for me. I had a comment on my blog from my roommate from junior year of undergrad at Wheeling Jesuit University, in Wheeling, WV--Julianna. The best thing ever about this is that all I really needed to do tonight is let out a genuine life because this was a day that I knew I was taking life way too seriously, but it also felt like nobody would allow me to do otherwise. Then there was Q (Julianna's nickname). Her comment about my piece on snow and winter was such a great memory...



Q and I met originally in a literature class, I believe--I think it was Lit-120 if my mind isn't failing me. In any case, we then had a religion class together sophomore year, and, finally, when I moved into an empty quad part way through senior year, she asked if she could move down to the WJU ghetto, T. More dormitory, with me. That was when life in the dorm began for me, but it got even better when I proceeded to move next door into her room after Christmas break since they were going to put a freshie in with me. Some of my fondest memories with Q include late-night talks, Doritos, movies, music, early morning runs to Hardees, runs to Kroger, and many others. But the particular memory she spoke of in the blog comment was best...

We attempted to go to dinner on a Sunday night at the campus cafeteria, which always had disaster written all over it, and all they had were clam strips--may not be so bad at a good restaurant, but I wouldn't recommend them at the B-Room. And because we didn't have a good dinner, we went to late night at Headlines, and had some pizza. A lodged bite of pizza in the throat, Dallas Kratzer, the Heimlich, an ER visit, and Kroger run later, we returned to our room. We got into our beds at opposite sides of the room...silence pervaded...then Q, in a very little voice, asked, "Courtney, are you breathing and okay?" I, in my best little voice, answered yes, and then the uproarious laughter began. To add to the complete and utter chaos of the night, when we stopped back at our quad, pre-ER jaunt, there was a random male student studying in our lounge. I asked what he was doing, hoping he'd let me know why he was in our lounge, and he just looked at me like I was stupid and replied, "Studying." I guess that's what I get for posing such a ridiculous question.

In any case, memories like these need to be preserved. And now that I've started thinking on it...there are SO many others just like this from only 6 months or so of co-habitation with Q.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

another good memory was when all those people just ended up in our room- Mikey playing guitar, Charlie and I trying to hide from the world, Chris laughing at everything, and Susan... dancing... whatever...

Good times, good times.
Thanks for the tribute!