Wednesday, January 25

The iPod, Part II

As a follow-up to my past blogs that have included gushings about my iPod Mini purchase, I must bring closure to a tragic tale...

A few weeks ago, as I got ready for work, I had my tunes rocking through my iPod. When I was finished getting ready, I grabbed the pod, which I had put down at one point, in order to pack it up to take with me on the road. Unfortunately, it slipped right out of my hand, and it came to rest on the rather hard tiled bathroom floor. I was misled in thinking that I could possibly have gotten lucky for the third time with iPod drops, for I had previously dropped it on the pavement. As tough as my lil' pinkie was, it did not fare well in this situation. It was not cracked, but it refused to do anything when I pushed buttons. I have to say that this was a stunning discovery for me. Just as movies and TV claim that one's last thoughts before death wander to years past and fly by in chronological order, I began to instantly mourn the loss of a great companion--musical companion that is. I think the soundtrack to my flashback would have to include such hits as "Islands in the Stream" (me and the ipod being the islands), "You are So Beautiful," etc. I truly miss having my little iPod attached.

So, my co-iPod Junkie, Sara, tried her best to assist in the resurrection of my functioning iPod. She even had me convinced that I could pull off not revealing the whole truth of the matter to the Apple Store employees (something I've never been good at). Alas, we made the pilgrimmage to the Apple Store in King of Prussia only to discover that everyone else in the region also needed their assistance that night and we were too late. If I had any way of knowing iPod mouth-to-mouth rescusitation, I surely would have done it. But, it's no use. The iPod has officially flatlined...crossed over...however you want to put it.

I am currently pondering how to replace this loss. Being a starving student to begin with, it was a steep purchase. Buying two in a matter of months, however, seems a bit excessive to me. In the meantime, Sara lent me her precious green iPod to use as I wandered Villanova's campus last night for class. The fantastic thing was when I turned the pod on, and it was like 20 or so seconds into a song, and I just hit the play button to resume the play that Sara had started. You know you've found a friend in someone when you can start up their iPod and not have to even once forward through a song or artist. Oh well...life goes on.

No comments: