Wednesday, January 25

You Might Be a Redneck If...

Granted, I get plenty tired of all of the WV jokes that are thrown my way since my move to the East Coast. But, I have to give my friend, Chris, credit for adding a comic element of that past world of mine to an already hilarious encounter that took place yesterday.

It was such a very normal day...somewhat slow and boring to be completely honest. I had finished readings for class and decided to nap for awhile. I then received a call from Sara, requesting I visit Borders with her to pick up some books and go for some Thai dinner food afterwards. I happily accepted this invite, so we set out on our way. When we first arrived at Borders (for once as customers rather than employees), I suggested we let our friend and co-worker, Liza, know we were there because she was expecting us to come in at some point for our shopping. So, we did so and she took her 10 minute, asking us to join her outside as she took a smoke break. We complied, and sat on the curb, chatting away as people came in and out of our store. Then, and this reminded me of one of those TV scenes when the Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get it On" plays and the visuals go slow motion, a man walks out of the front doors, we look at him, he looks at us, we watch him walk all the way past, silent, and then Sara and I look at eachother, and she very calmly, with little surprise, says, "I totally think that was Chuck Norris." This was true, but my brain had not kicked in at all as I watched him walk. It was just an inner thought that indicated I should be recognizing this person and reacting--but that reaction was non-existent. After Sara made her observation, I agreed, and we started cracking up like 8-year-old, giddy schoolgirls.

It was one of the most random events of my life. My co-workers, Bryn Mawr customers, and other miscellaneous people exit those doors...not Walker, Texas Ranger!!! So, as lame as it was, I had to spread the joy of this random event. My mother, of course, was thrilled with my experience, as was my father. This fed my fascination, which felt good. Then, I left an IM away message when I went to bed:

"Today marks a great day in the history of my life (please know that this is strictly sarcastic)...I totally saw Chuck Norris as he strolled out of Borders Bryn Mawr. I love the random events in life--it's what makes it so much fun."

I woke up this morning to Chris IMing me. All I had to read was his first line..."You might be a redneck if..." I didn't have to read on, I knew how it was going to end. He was totally bashing my Chuck Norris excitement. I understand, Chris...it's hard when you're not the one who gets to see Walker up close and personal...especially when he's your idol. Anyhow, I reminded him of the sarcasm backing all of the excitement...and we had a good laugh.

Thank you, Chuck Norris,for a great moment that appears to keep on giving. And if you are reading this and would like to reading another account of the adventure, check out Sara's entry.

No comments: