Tuesday, February 14

Adventures at Market East

After my first official venture into Center City alone, I have to tell a story. This is a rather funny story, but one that shows how things always have a way of coming back to you--sometimes the turn-style just moves a little too quickly, catching one off-guard.

Last night, I took the 8:22 train into the city to visit a friend. I was somewhat nervous about doing so because I wasn't sure what to expect. I had to disembark at Market East, the one downtown station I had not yet used, and it was a sort of odd hour of night to travel alone. Because the snow has majorly messed up already detestable parking conditions downtown, a couple of friends said they'd pick me up outside of one of the station exits, thus avoiding the parking havoc. So, I called to report the R5 was for once on time and that I had just arrived at the station. I went upstairs to wait for my ride, and a man, who was not all homeless yet not all normal in appearance, asked me, "You're a regular train person, right?" How does a novice respond to this?

1) "No. Please take full advantage of my lack of city skills." or...
2) "Yes. So, I know I shouldn't even be responding to you."

I, like the naive West Virginian, revealed my secret..."I am not. I'm sorry. Did you need help finding something?" Like I could possibly be of any help in that matter! He proceeds with, "You know, I don't understand. I beg for money all day, I go to the window, begging for a ticket, no one gives me anything. If I were them, I would tell me to just take some cash, get some food, and don't show my face here again. But, that never happens. Everyday, I tell you! I mean, I went to college! I shouldn't have to do this!" Meanwhile, I stand there, stunned. He says to me, "Do you think you could pay for a ticket for me?" Knowing, at the very least, that a) I couldn't afford to treat him to the divine SEPTA service, and b) it's never good to continue such an interaction, gracefully explained that I had no money for him.

All this time, there was a "normal-looking" (aka non-homeless) female frantically digging through her bags. Just as my conversation with Man A ends, Female A asks, "Excuse me, do you have 4 quarters? I had change on me and now I just can't find it." As she asks about this, Man A glares at me, waiting for me to hand her cash. So, feeling I could be put in a very difficult spot with this man, depending on how many more seconds I had to stand there, I had to tell this poor woman that I did not have money for her. I felt horrible!

Looking back on it this morning, I just laughed. You just never know how quickly something like that can unfold. For me, it will make my first lone city travels unforgettable.

No comments: