Monday, April 17

So Much Love

Just back, literally, from my Easter visit at home, I have to reflect on what struck me most while I was home. I have discussed my niece several times on my blog, but I haven't talked as much about my nephew, Seth, because he has just been a little too young to even really interact much--especially since my interaction now depends on long-distance phone calls and such. But, both kids helped me realize something big while I was at home for these days. I'm convinced kids are more a functional part of this world than most will give them credit for, and this is because I have had the opportunity to experience the love of these two kids through each of their developmental phases thus far. I've also realized how much you kind of miss as a youngest child...as I was. I never had that little human following me around, trying to emulate my every move, etc. Now, though, I'm really starting to understand human love, and I know it's because I'm fortunate enough to be growing with these two kids. Seth has just begun to really recognize people and show his affection, albeit gaping mouth with slobber flowing out. Sydni, on the other hand, is well into her development. She now expresses her excitement (between squeels and such) by looking at whoever she is with at a given moment and saying she loves them. For instance, when we were playing in the yard, she stopped dead and said this to me, and when I was drying her hair after her bath last night, she did it again. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that that's the purest form of human love you can really ask for or expect. No wonder people have been reproducing for so many years!

Kids are so honest, and when the kids have come from your siblings, their existence takes on such a more profound meaning. As I sat around the fire with my family Saturday night, I realized that everyone has taken on new roles in the family, and I think we're all doing a great job with our new positions. I'm most grateful--for the kids, for growth, and for the good fortune of getting to experience it all.

No comments: