Saturday, May 20

Change in Attitude, Change in Taste

Is it possible to affect change in one's taste if there is a change of attitude? This question came to my mind the other day as I was pondering my incredible change in taste since even a few years back. So, thinking of this made me formulate this question. Many adults describe themselves as picky childhood eaters...many kids are picky. But, I just wonder what stimulates the drastic changes in taste. Here's the "for example"... As a teenager, I would go to dinner with my family fairly often at a local restaurant called Christopher's Cafeteria. This also happened to be the first place of employment for all three Chase children...Erin, Ryan, and I all worked for the catering side of the restaurant. But, Christopher's was oftentimes a place for us to gather for dinner. They had choices that all of us could enjoy, and the atmosphere was that of family. But, just to prove my point, my Christopher's cuisine never changed or altered in all hundreds of the visits we made, here's what I got: noodles (thick homemade ones) and mashed potatoes with beef gravy over them, and a dinner roll with butter. That's it...I was not a fan of protein, I obviously was not at all interested in taste. This high carb, highly bland dinner was pretty much my mainstay. I would have to say that my attitude and worldly aspirations pretty much mirrored that meal. Not a lot of adventure, not a lot of willingness to diverge from the norm. Now, however, I've of course blossomed into a fairly adventurous person with lots of worldly curiosities and willingness to try new and exotic stuff. What are my tastes now, just years later? Well, my two favorite cuisines would be Mexican and Thai...the more spice the better. My other runners up would include Chinese and Italian. My last choice? Those American, homemade recipes that lack spice and flavor. I do eat them still, of course, I just prefer the others. So, this total flip-flop just made me wonder about the human mind and what it does to steer cravings and tastes. Fairly interesting topic, I think.

No comments: