Friday, May 19

My Own Season of Big Brother

Funny story. I've mentioned on here before, I believe in the posting on luck, how I ended up living and working with Madonna. I just have to say, though, now that I will be staying in the same housing for the next year, I think I have unknowingly created my own season of Big Brother. You know that terrible show where everyone ends up totally annoyed with one another because that's all they are around? That's the show I'm talking about.

Living with your boss is pretty unique and probably fairly uncommon, I'd say. We're doing perfectly fine with it thus far, and I don't foresee any problems. But, as I was running errands on campus yesterday, I thought of how much our real lives mirror the lives of those who participate on Big Brother. We wake up...see eachother as we make our breakfast and coffee. We say farewell before leaving the house, just like we won't see eachother all day. We go to work, say good morning all over again, this time in the professional persona. Our offices are side-by-side, and we see eachother fairly often throughout the day. At the end of the day, we say goodnight, just like everyone else is doing. Except...wait...we come home and there we are...totally a faux goodnight.

There are interesting boundaries, erected by sheer silence...like at work, we usually do not discuss home. At home, the questions pour out...it's actually a very interesting process to observe both of us independently finding ways to make this situation as normal as possible.

No comments: