Monday, June 26

Breaking Habits

When it comes to dining out, I'm a major creature of habit. In fact, I can name at least one place here at home where I have not once deviated from my original menu choice from years back when I first visited the establishment. Am I proud of this? No. But, my theory has always been that if you find something good, then you should stick with it. I blew my own theory to shreds last night as I ordered and ate my meal at Outback Steakhouse. And as the sign above indicates, breaking habits can be tough.

For years, I have eaten the same thing at Outback. I would order the potato soup as an appetizer, which went fabulously with the bread there, and I would round out the meal with the appetizer-size portion of coconut shrimp. Delicious combination. Last night, though, I went out on a limb and not only ordered something completely different but something that is making a trial run.

I ordered the bronzed chicken meal that comes with corn cakes. It has a vermouth sauce over it, and this was something that caught my attention. I love corn and vermouth sauce both, so I didn't think I could go wrong with this choice; I was, however, slightly concerned with the concept of bronzed chicken. What could this mean? Humans use bronzer to look tan...what on Earth could a chef be doing with chicken to bronze it?

To my satisfaction, I received a plate full of deliciously seasoned chicken with delicious corn cakes, and it was a very good portion. So, I guess sometimes it's good to try something new...even when you have no idea what the process is that takes place in order to present you with the result. I love food.

No comments: