Saturday, June 24

Say That Again?

I met with my friend Mikey tonight...he's my friend who joined me throughout my undergraduate experience, including on my trip to Ireland. We began the night by having dinner at this very small German restaurant The Keg and Kraut. It was a delicious dinner of sauerkraut balls and German potato pancakes, among other things, but the ultimate moment came at the close of the Keg and Kraut experience.

As a preface, Mikey has made the decision to enter seminary school and proceed on to become a member of the priesthood. The very elderly woman who happens to be the one waitress that you'll get each and every trip to the Keg and Kraut asked Mikey how she might know him...recognize him. So, he explained that he went to WJU and frequented the restaurant oftentimes during his undergraduate years. She questioned what he's doing now, so he explained his current path. Following this, she first blurted out that she hopes he changes his mind and ultimately backs out of this. Then, she followed it up by looking at me and asked if I was going to be a nun.

It's when people say things like this and wave a very sincere goodbye (as this woman did) that I realize that I need to pass through life more guilt-free. She had no shame, and I would have to say I'm glad. I love the entertainment value of such stuff.

No comments: