Friday, July 7

Anyone?

As another 4th of July passes, I wonder one thing: Is there anybody who truly digs fireworks displays? I suppose there has to be since it's a huge money-making industry in our country, and random stands pop up all over the place each year, peddaling their best.

I grant the fact that they're kind of like technology. They're kind of awe-inspiring in that someone was able to come up with the idea, create a formula for perfection, and create this trend and tradition. But, when it comes down to it, is one display really any better than another? Is there a real essential difference in fireworks? And are there fireworks afficianados?

I, personally, cannot imagine feeling too terribly connected to something that creates a deafening sound and a brightness barely observable. Again. Fascinating concept. Shoot things in the air that create a scattering of light and explode in the process. But, just as I cannot comprehend folks who take photographs of the stuffed animals at Cabela's, I cannot really comprehend the annual hype surrounding these displays.

1 comment:

patrick | steed said...

i'm listening to that iron & wine cd right now.

sweet.