Thursday, August 23

Back to School

There's definitely one thing that has never changed for me: I love school. I love virtually every aspect of it. There were always those days I really wished it were optional rather than mandatory--just think of how great that would be. But, other than those days, I am an academic addict.

I began to realize how true this really is as the same old back to school fever lit up inside of me despite the fact that...well...I am a student no more. There's no classroom in my near future. But, as the back to school ads have geared up, and the stories of preparations for the school year have been told to me, I have taken on this permanent state of nostalgia for anything connected.

Years ago...almost 20 to be exact...I started to walk the couple of neighborhood blocks late in August to jump into the school year fun. I would go roam the halls of Park View Elementary School, helping everyone to get their bulletin boards all set and decorated. It was as if I wanted to hurry them along so that we could just start the year already. I can literally smell the halls of the school that is now a professional building. I can see the gymnasium where I learned to master the art of running under the collapsing parachute as my classmates hoisted it in the air. That same gymnasium held the stage where I played the lead female role of Katrina Van Tassel in The Headless Horseman--my 3rd grade theater debut.

Even in high school, some of my best memories are those from playing the part of lab assistant to the Chemistry teacher--she shall remain anonymous, but she was the best teacher because a) she made chemistry fun and b) she told us stories of going to see The Doors in concert and told cautionary tales wisely disguised as edgy stories from the days of the hippies. Why is it that so many high school kids love hippies? Maybe it was just an era during my years.

Now, I have friends who are teachers. I have friends who are lucky enough to still be stalling the brave new world of adulthood, basking in the eternal youth that comes with academia and grad classes. I have young people around me who are preparing for their return. And I'm totally envious of them all. Happy trails to all who will soon be journeying down the path of the 2007-08 school year!

1 comment:

patrick | steed said...

I'm going back to school this fall. I'm kinda nervous. I was never a good student, but now I'm older, so I'm assuming I'll be able to knuckle down and do it.

What if I can't? Well then I'll just be wasting money.

:)