Monday, August 13

Morning Obsession

My new morning life requires an earlier rise, minus a homemade pot of coffee and minus the time to eat breakfast...or the desire to at that early hour. So, over the past month, I've tried some different ideas. I've brought food in with me, I've gotten coffee at the train station, and I've gone without both some mornings. None of these got it for me.

Then, one morning, I decided to try a street vendor on the 53rd Street side of our building since a co-worker had suggested it. He had said that the coffee was the best, so I ventured there with high expectations. Dangerous, I know, but in the end, I found the coffee to be completely delightful. Every sip tastes just the way I like my coffee to taste. Bold, but not too bold, smooth and made to order with cream and sugar. This was phase one of the building of my breakfast routine.

A few days after falling into this routine, I decided to venture out once again. This time, I decided I would not just get my coffee, I would try a morning treat that the vendor had to sell. This was quite the decision since the cart is packed full of all of the best morning goodies--muffins of every kind, bagels of every kind and donuts of most kinds. I decided, though, that I would go with the plane Jane of them all...the croissant. This morning marked the official start of a breakfast utopia for me.


I now visit this vendor each and every morning, asking for the same order most if not all mornings. The only deviation is my occasional passing on the croissant. However, I can admit that from the time I wake until I'm walking into 666 Fifth Avenue, brown bag in hand, all I can think about is taking in the luscious coffee and croissant.

1 comment:

patrick | steed said...

wow! it's been a while and yet you haven't lost your touch.

oh and, no fear, i'm a creature of habit when it comes to food. that just means you know what you like.