Tuesday, February 21

Lessons of the Antrim Rope Bridge


During the summer between my junior and senior years in college, I joined a six week study abroad program in Dublin, Ireland.  I kiddingly refer to this time as a glorified vacation because I didn't need any of the credits for graduation.  But soon afterward, I realized it was probably the richest experience of my entire college education, if not my entire life.  I was reminded of this time this past weekend, and there was one moment in particular that sticks with me as probably the most profound of the trip.

Pictured above is the Antrim coast of Ireland, and if you look really close, there is a rope bridge (the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge) that spans the space between that little island and the mainland.  A couple of friends and I took a day to go on a tour of the Antrim coast, and this was one of our stops along the way.  The bridge's framework is all rope and includes wooden steps along the way.  These rope bridges were built years and years ago near fishing communities so that the fishermen could more easily access the best fishing and regularly check their nets.  The scary part?  The drop down to the rocky coastline below is somewhere around 75 feet.  The fluidity of the rope infrastructure and massive plummet potential have a way of intimidating some.  But, we braved the danger and crossed.  When I reached the other side, I realized I could see Scotland from where I stood.  This, for whatever reason, made me stop and evaluate just how big and amazing the world is and how few moments have made me stop and feel that way.  It was also a very humbling moment because it made me realize how very small I am, as an individual, in this world.  Something about sitting on the coast of one country and looking across a huge watery expanse at another country really spoke to my core.  The overwhelming message?  It's not all about us.  There's so much more.

Ironically, the fact that we can turn on the television and see live feed from virtually anywhere on the planet makes this realization hard to grasp sometimes.  There are those surreal moments of watching war and conflicts abroad unfold as cameras roll.  There are the scenes of extreme poverty and illness that plagues communities the world over.  But, what is less frequently captured is the magic that the world has to give.  The sheer joys of better understanding our planet and all of its landscapes.  So, don't let the tube fool you.  Get out there and see what you want--whether that's lands abroad or destinations across state, city or county lines.  The first-hand experiences will be life-altering and humbling for sure.              

No comments: