Thursday, February 23

A Guilty Pleasure Revealed

It's no secret to people I know.  I am a die-hard American Idol fan.  I've tried and failed to allow a season to pass, unwatched.  This season, however, I find myself to be incredibly entertained by Heejun Han, a top-24 contestant from New York. 

First, I love Heejun's voice.  I think part of it is that what comes out of his mouth is not really like anything I would imagine coming out.  He's a great singer, and I really look forward to seeing where he goes throughout the season. 

Perhaps more, though, I L-O-V-E his quirky personality.  As if the fact that he works with disabled children in real life wouldn't make you love him anyhow, the guy has such a subtle and deadpan sense of humor, I'm never sure whether he's serious or really messing around.  He constantly makes everyone giggle.  His interactions with cowboy Richie Lawson were particularly funny during group week.

He also gets incredibly nervous with each performance, wigglin' his arms like crazy to shake it out, but then he belts it out, and you'd never know he was at all rattled.  And perhaps the best?  Heejun reveals his incredibly tender and humble nature every time he makes it to the next round.  He cries like a baby each time, as if surprised that he's actually making it.

I can't wait to watch this season's contestants (especially my favorites) as they make their way through the competition.  Please, America, I beg you to leave something other than two country singers standing.  Embrace the unique!!!  

No comments: