Tuesday, February 28

Resisting the (Impulsive) Fast Food Urge


I think of myself as a fairly fortunate person when it comes to eating habits.  Some genetic something determined that I would, for the most part, really enjoy fresh and healthy foods.  This does not mean I don't have my junk and unhealthy cravings.  Sometimes, it's all I can do to fight the urge to hit the McDonald's or Wendy's drive-thru windows.  And sometimes, I cave.

Most weeks, I try to plan out some semi-healthy meals for the week.  Admittedly, breakfast and lunch choices, given the work schedule, don't leave me in love or craving more.  But, I've found a general rotation of things that satisfies nutritional needs and that are satisfying enough.  Dinners, however, are extremely challenging.  I do my best to come up with some delicious Sunday dinner each week that will provide at least a couple or few nights of leftovers.  But, as life would have it, that can't always happen.  So, I've started being less stubborn about this and a little more flexible in finding quicker (less gourmet) choices.  One of my recent favorites has been burgers (using Laura's lean beef), a serving of Green Giant's amazingly delicious baby brussel sprouts in butter sauce (a favorite of Weight Watchers) and any brand of sweet potato fries.  I see this meal as one of the closest in perfect balance--a solid serving of pretty healthy protein, an appetizing veggie and a small indulgence.

However, in my dinner trials and tribulations, I've realized how difficult it is to eat healthy and also economically.  One of  my hugest gripes, based on the above sample quick meal, is having to buy a package of at least 8 hamburger buns in order to indulge in this meal.  How ridiculous is this?  I've tried to be as thoughtful as possible and coincide lunch choices that require buns with dinner choices that do, but do you realize how much time this takes to figure out?  And how much of the fun is taken out of the process?  Sure, I could freeze the remaining buns, but who really enjoys a defrosted bun?

This leads me to how sneakily fast food swoops in as the most awesome choice ever.  You can literally get one of anything, eliminating waste.  You can make an impulsive choice, literally striking whatever fancy hits you at the moment of consumption, eliminating all of the time and bother of planning meals.  And, the topper, is that you can usually make this really awful choice for cheaper than what your nibbles would've cost otherwise.  So, why is our nation's girth growing at a record rate as more and more fast food restaurants pop up everywhere?  Because the task of resisting the impulsive fast food urge is one of monumental challenge in this world seemingly and ironically more obsessed with health each day.  We can live longer and healthier lives.  We just need to be counterculture to do so and resist the tantalizing fast food urge.

No comments: