Wednesday, February 29

Something I Won't Share

During my time in Philadelphia, I fell in love with a lot of new food.  In all of my travels, I have to say that Philadelphia's food offerings still rate up there amongst the best of the best.  There is a lot of diversity and a lot of delicious goodness to be had. 

As a starving graduate student, it's not often that the budget allows for indulgences such as eating out.  But, with strong will and determination, I would manage to eek out the extra cash.  And besides a sushi flop, I can't think of any instances of serious disappointment. 

The restaurant that I will never forget and often long for is now known as Mikado Thai Pepper.  At the time, it was just the Thai Pepper Restaurant, and since then, it combined with the Japanese restaurant conveniently located next door.  When I moved, I had not had much Thai food.  In fact, I only recall one brush with it in Pittsburgh prior (and couldn't tell you the name of the place if that's any indication).  But, I stumbled across the Thai Pepper, and it became my weekly comfort food.  Two of the simplest menu selections, the spicy noodle (which has an incredibly yummy sauce with fat noodles, ground chicken, red and green pepper strips and basil leaves) and basil fried rice (just as it says with chicken), challenged me each week to save enough cash to go pick up carry out on Friday night and have study meals through the weekends.  While I ate this very combination for more weekends than I could count, the Thai Pepper remains a guaranteed stop on any return trips to Philadelphia.  

A good friend of mine who I met in my earliest days in Philly and who also happens to be a huge Thai Pepper fan, has said of me that I'm one of the most giving people she knows but I will not share my Thai Pepper food.  While my initial reaction to this was to fight it, I have to say it's the truth.  I don't want to go and share either dish.  In fact, I think I've even rejected offers to split.  I want every delicious and flavorful bite to myself, and this includes any and all leftovers.  If I could figure out a way, I would absolutely have these dishes delivered to my West Virginia doorstep.   

No comments: