Saturday, February 4

The Wondrous Weekend

Weekends--what everyone lives for, Monday through Friday.  I don't know if everyone is the same about them, but I know in my own case, they're an obsession.  I wake up each day, thinking about how much closer I have gotten to its start.  I go to sleep each night, again reassuring myself that it is almost here.  I've never heard anyone be excited about weekdays.  Unless, that is, a weekday stands for an early entry into their weekend.  A few friends and I regularly celebrate "hump day" Wednesdays, but I definitely don't embrace them as I do Friday night, Saturday or Sunday. 

I think weekends fit into the "supply and demand" concept common in consumerism.  It's what we get least of, so we naturally want more.  When we are given more, we just want more again.  Is this a genetic slip in all of us?  Are we programmed to only want what we cannot have?  To always view the grass as being greener on the other side?  What a conundrum! 

I wonder if it's possible to tackle time, and the busy way of life, and embrace a weekend way of living seven days a week.  I don't know about your weekends, but mine are marked with contentment through cooking what I want, coming and going as I want, taking moments I don't normally take to appreciate the everyday light in my world and lots of other breathable things.  I think I will tackle this.  Yes, work will consume lots of hours it doesn't on the weekend, but as I've learned through an amazing boss with an amazing outlook, those hours don't have to be filled with stagnancy and unhappiness or stress.  Full-time weekends.  I like it.

No comments: