Saturday, March 17

A Wicklow Retreat

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd provide another brief tale from my adventures in Ireland. 

On one of the weekends during our stay in Dublin, I suggested we sign up for a hike in the Wicklow Mountains with an outfitter known as Dirty Boot Treks.  I'm fairly sure this company no longer exists, but the three of us who participated in the hike--myself and my two undergrad chums, Ellen and Mikey--couldn't say anything but good after the experience.

The adventure included a 14-16 mile hike through the Wicklow Mountains, and more particularly adjacent to lands owned by the Guinness family.  We met our guide at a random Dublin address and were whisked away by Land Rover to the remote hiking location.  I believe we had arrived home from our prior night's adventures somewhere around 2 or 3 in the morning, so the meeting time of 7am was a bit painful at first (and lacked enthusiasm to say the least).  But, our determination prevailed, and we were so pleased with the outcome.

Two Londoners joined us for the hike, and their company was a true pleasure.  We were all amateurs, enjoying the scenery and guide's tales as well.  It was on this hike that the guide pointed out that St. Patrick banished all snakes from Ireland, which made the hike, for some of us non-snake-loving-folks, that much more enjoyable.  There were patterns of brown where the beautiful purple heather had previously in bloom along the hillsides and amazing shades of green all around us.  (Based on the brown, it would be awe-inspiring to see the hillsides with the heather in bloom). 

When we reached the summit of our hike, which was about the midpoint, we were treated to a delicious lunch of hot creamy mushroom soup and brie sandwiches (we laughed later that this was one of the most gourmet meals experienced in our time there).  After eating, we were able to roam the mountaintop a bit, and this was when I realized I could view the Irish Sea in the distance.  This marked and still remains one of the most beautiful sites I've ever experienced.  There's something about being surrounded by mountain terrain and yet at rim of the sea.

The Irish countryside remains one of my favorite images to hearken back in my mind.  It was a day of great beauty and joy.  And I tip my non-snake-loving hat to St. Patrick for allowing me the extra pleasure of a hike without any fears of crossing paths with a slithery snake.        

No comments: