Saturday, June 2

The Art of Racing in the Rain

A few years ago, upon my return to Wheeling from New York, a good friend gave me a copy of Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain.  I think one must be a true lover of animals to really get into this book, but on a more philosophical level, it's a very powerful and true message.  To be extremely high-level, the book is the story of a man struggling in his car racing career and his canine companion, who sticks by his side as a loyal friend throughout his trials and tribulations.  For me, the book spoke to making the best of all of the bad or challenging stuff that life tosses your way (the challenges symbolized by the rain). 

I was reminded of this book today as we strolled along the neighborhood streets with Riley and Tucker and the weekend edition, Piper.  As we set out, dark, ominous clouds began to take shape and congregate almost directly overhead.  So, at one point very early in the walk, we had to make a choice to either speed it up quite a bit to get home before the rain or turn around.  We headed on, basically going half of the circuit we normally do.  Just as we got home, the heavens opened.  Thankfully, we avoided the contained odor of three dogs in our little bungalow home. 

My mind wandered, though, to the pages of Stein's book.  Rain falls on us all, quite a bit actually.  So, life, in a sense, is really about perfecting the art of racing in the rain.  One must learn to take the challenges in stride and even improve life overall while overcoming each and every obstacle.  I don't know about others, but most every time I'm hit with a new challenge, one of my first thoughts is, "Gee, when is this dark cloud going to clear?  When is life going to be easier?"  But, I think the reality is that all of those little blips on the radar are life.  Without them, life would lose texture and the power of teaching.  As I've said to a couple of co-workers, I remember best how to do those things that, at some point or another, I really messed up.  So, I guess it's good to look at all of life's challenges that way.  Dance with every drop of rain, take it in and be accepting of the next.

Mary Oliver, one of my favorite poets, wrote the following in her poem, "Dreams"...

When the rain is over
I go to the woods.
The path is a swamp, the trees still dripping.
And the creeks!
Only last week they poured smoothly,
Curled like thread about the mossy stones
And sang with the voices of birds.

Now they are swollen and driven with muds and
  ambitions.
They gallop and steam
As though, crazed by this week of rain,
They sense ahead--and desire it--
A new life in a new land
Where vines tumble thick as ship-ropes,
The ferns grow tall as trees!

And so, the next time it rains--literally or figuratively--remember that it's the perfect opportunity to hone your skills to navigate life's rainy times.  Whether a spring shower or drenching fall rain, they all leave us with something...life. 
 

No comments: