Saturday, November 11

When the NFL (Player) Gets It Right


The news these days seems to focus a lot on divisions, violence and super sad events. So, when I hear about a really great human being doing really good things for other human beings, my ears perk up and my heart flutters. Enter Chris Long, (handsome) defensive end for the Philadelphia Eagles. Former St. Louis Ram and New England Patriot. Son of pro football hall of famer Howie Long.

Motivated by the tragic violence at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville earlier this year, Chris decided to donate his first six paychecks of the season to fund two full scholarships at a private high school (his alma mater) in the city. He has since decided to donate his remaining ten paychecks of the season to charities that support educational equality in each of the cities he's played. He's also created the "Pledge 10 for Tomorrow" initiative, aiming to raise more money for the cause. The city with the most raised will receive another $50K from Long. I would say it's already a success because its raised over a half million. 

When I heard this story, I was relieved that I was hearing it. That despite all the recent negative coverage of the NFL, this story and Long's actions were able to rise to the surface. That his lesson is find some way--any way--to help prevent the divisions, violence and sadness of today. That he knows education will help. Even better, I found that Long regularly, but rather quietly, gives back through other channels, including his foundation and another organization called WaterBoys. Check the latter one out, it's pretty cool.     

We need more Chris Longs. Tell a friend about him. I think he will inspire others. I know he has inspired me.
    

No comments: