Wednesday, July 5

Jane Austen is My Girl...Still



After watching the newest version of Pride and Prejudice, I have discovered perhaps the most laudable talent of Jane Austen. I was worried that since I have viewed the A&E version of the story several times that I would not feel this was anything that great; however, I almost immediately fell under Austens still very organic spell.

As I watched the strained interactions between the couples, and especially Elizabeth and Darcy, I realized what I so treasure about these stories and what sets them apart from many stories from the present. The sexual tension and feelings of passion and love that teem these couples' interactions are all clearly communicated through words and actions--but those actions are not nearly what you see on the screen now. The looks, the small movements, the elegant dances, and the eloquently worded letters...these are what tell the story of love in Austen. My preference for this does not at all indicate that I am feeling conservative and prudish about sex on the big screen these days. It's simply that Austen's route, by far, takes much more than some of the modern day stuff. Put two people together who feel very stongly about one another and make them show that love or hate without any self-explanatory or extreme actions that spell out the situation. This is a challenge.

Jane Austen, the filmakers, and the actors and actresses all successfully teased out this rare quality through the making of this brilliant film. Here's to the subtleties of love that make you fall in love with the idea of love all over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I have to watch Pride and Prejudice. I was holding out because I loved the A&E version so much, but you're the third person (whose opinion I trust!) that has loved this version too.

Btw,Titanic is a guilty pleasure we all have succumbed too!
Jen

patrick | steed said...

in romantic movies, the best part is the looks. that look of hopeless desparation, "i'll never have you," or a glance across a crowded room, sweeping music playing...words and actions are great, but the soundless looks say it all to me.