Tuesday, July 4

More than a Sinking Ship

I've been on a nearly 10 year strike, refusing to watch one of the most raved about movies of last century, Titanic. I had no intention of watching this movie straight through...ever. As flocks of my young teenage friends migrated to the movie theaters two, three, and four times to see the movie, I became a martyr, insisting that I would not see it. Admittedly, most of those young women were going simply because Leonardo DiCaprio was starring in it; but, they went all the same.

Then, during the NCAA basketball tournament, a friend with whom I was watching the sports action kept flipping between the games and this movie. The few scenese I watched that day almost convinced me that I needed to rent it and watch it through. However, I had not followed through with that thought. Then, last night, as I was enjoying my dad's big screen HDTV, flipping through the listings for programming, I came across HBO-HD, which was featuring Titanic at 9:30pm. Late for a 3 1/2 hour movie? Sure. Did I watch? Absolutely.

I have the same thought as my friend, Sara. If you know what happens, there's really no need to watch it. However, what I learned by letting go of my stubborness last night was that the movie was about so much more than the ending of the great ship's journey. The love story and somewhat accurate historical perspective offered through this movie is nothing short of satisfying and entertaining--what movies should be.

Basically, I'm glad I waited to watch the movie until I was older and could appreciate the underlying themes and storylines.

1 comment:

patrick | steed said...

DON'T WATCH IT!! IT SUCKS!!!

seriously. the titanic only took two hours to sink, and this movie is three hours? let me ruin the end for you...the ship sinks. see? now you don't have to see it.

whew! saved another one...