Saturday, August 12

If I Were a Superhero...

...I would tackle the task of ending office politics. Although I feel strongly that I defy just about all rules of office politics, I do have to say that I find the concept of them fascinating. In my opinion, it's like the most practical application of Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest." Anyone will rat anyone out in order to get ahead; there is a seemingly sinister sigh of relief when one of the office powerhouses ceases to remain employed; there is a constant ring of gossip, some of the most vicious out there; and there never seems to be a complete picture of content regardless of where you are.

As I sat at my desk on Friday and had repeated interactions with the Knowledge Management crew as well as the Help Desk crew, it occurred to me that I may have stumbled upon the answer to the devastating state of the office atmosphere. I watched this group of "techies," and I've decided that they're one of the most docile, easygoing strains of office employees. They have fun, they make fun, and they make everyone laugh in the process. And if you think about it, they really truly stand as the one group of people with every reason to feel frustrated and angry at others. They are almost like foreigners in that they speak almost a whole other language, and they rarely come across equals outside of their "tech crew" perimeter.

This group invited me to lunch, but I already had plans. They also have invited me to a luau that's being held at one of their homes. If my workplace was a World War, then these techies would be Switzerland. Thus, I have decided that they will be my chums here. When was the last time you heard gossip that originated with one of these guys? Nuff said.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Nerds rule.