Thursday, August 17

Some of the Newest Perks


Life has changed. But, with these changes, I have also inherited some pretty cool perks. Let me tell you about a few.

  • A book room. I love books. I love bookcases. I have an entire room in my new apartment just for these things. I love this.
  • A chair with a view. I have an aunt with incredible aesthetic taste. Her son recently constructed a pond in her backyard. It's a nice-sized pond with beautiful landscaping (variety of grasses, flowers, lily pads, etc.) and includes pond life such as turtles, fish, and frogs. The perk? My aunt lives just around the corner from me now, so times like last night, I simply stroll down the alley, and have myself an evening chat with her by the pond...margarita in hand.
  • The Annual Greek Food Fest. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was great. Greek food is even better. The annual food fest is going on in downtown Wheeling, just a couple blocks up from my work, so I get to reap the benefits of that over the next few days. I picked up dinner just a little bit ago...a gyro with Galatobouriko for dessert. My next Greek goal: go to the Greek Isles. I know--it's thinking big.
  • Boot Camp. As the weeks quickly pass, I'm learning how to be an assistant in the truest sense. If you've seen The Devil Wears Prada then you know that this can be a bumpy process. My boss is no where near the Miranda type, but learning to speak for someone or literally be someone else is a challenge. However, with each successful step, I feel better and better. It has helped for me to reference Heather Beckel's great "how to" book, titled Be a Kickass Assistant. She was on the Clinton campaign and transitioned into the White House as George Stephanopolous' assistant.

These are the highlights of life at the moment. More to come...

1 comment:

patrick | steed said...

UH, sounds like you are living it up, no? nice view, too.