Saturday, September 16

What Makes Home, Home

I've always been a huge fan of pets. Growing up, we always had a dog, the occasional cat, hermit crabs, fish, etc. I remember when we had to put a fairly young Brittany Spaniel pup down because she had epilepsy that just got progressively worse over time. My mom and I, especially, were devastated. I immediately began my campaign to get a new family dog. Eventually, Mom agreed, and we got Pete--the legendary Brittany Spaniel who's still around and will live on in the Chase family forever. I think Pete made me realize how I felt about animals...I agreed to stay home with him to train him while the family would go out for dinner outings, etc. It didn't bother me a bit! What mattered more to me at the time was that Pete was helping home feel more like home that it would have without him around.

This past month has been such an exciting one for me with getting my first big job, my first place of my own, etc. Perhaps my favorite part, though, just took place this past week when I took in my two men. Lewis (right in the picture above) and Clark (left in the picture above) are the official beginnings of my own nuclear family. I brought them home this past Wednesday, and they've already proven to me what loyal companions they will prove to be. They wrestle, practially run up and down the walls, eat their kitten food, play with anything that is mobile. But, the more tender times expose their affectionate side. They stand to wait for me to get ready in the mornings, they wander from room to room with me, they purr instantly upon contact, they crawl up onto my lap and bed down for some quiet time. These two boys have brightened my life.

Stay tuned for future adventures of Lewis 'n' Clark!

No comments: