Thursday, October 20

Funny Memories from the Days of Kelly


This is Kelly and Clint. Kelly, as mentioned previously in my blog, is a dear friend of mine from Wheeling. She and I have come to be very close friends over a relatively small period of time. Over that time, I have at least two favorite memories that are worth sharing. Keep in mind that I've been buried in books all day, so I desperately needed some release, and Kelly definitely deserves the airtime.

There's a running joke, at least on my part, that Kelly was bribed by one of our professors to welcome me into the English major at Wheeling Jesuit University. I had gone through my first two years in nursing, so entering the established group of English majors as a junior was a little intimidating at first. Kelly welcomed me with open arms, however I was later informed by the professor that she had requested that Kelly kind of take me under her wing. Kelly swears that she would have been friendly anyhow, and I have full faith in her; it's just funny to think back to how such a wondeful friendship began.

Another funny aspect of our relationship is that just months after we had met, Kelly came over to my dormroom for a night of hanging out. In fact, it was the end of the fall semester, just before break, because that's why we ultimately decided to bake some cookies. Before that activity, however, another friend of ours, Jackie, arrived at T. More dormitory with a box of really cheap wine. Yes, a box with a spout, and I quickly learned a lesson in wine consumption. Kelly, as was the smart thing to do, refrained from joining in the drinking. However, I have to say that when Jackie, a HUGE George Michael fan which still makes me crack up, popped in the first G.M. CD, I was secure with the idea that I was only dancing to him because I was a little under the influence. I have never asked Kelly, but I wonder what her excuse would be for breakin it down? In any case, Kelly, Jackie, and I decided to bake sugar cookies labeled with everyone's names from our Modernism class--which happened to be at 9:25 the following morning. We made the cookies alright, however I can't say I was a happy deliverer. Jackie stole my bed that night, I had the worst hangover ever the following day, and I had to go eat beef stew of all things at another professor's gathering. Not a happy combination. I was just relieved when Kelly chose to remain friends with the new drunken major who wanted to make cookies.

Now, to be quite serious, I have to credit Kelly for being one of the most consistent of people in my life. From the fall of my junior year, up through the day I left Wheeling, she was there for everything--including some of the most important graduation events and my final sendoff get together. I think it's so true that once you step out of the normalcy of life (and into a new normalcy), it's much easier to see the truths of the old. But, in a funny way, the miles now between us, as they have changed our friendship somewhat, have only brought us closer together.

No comments: