Wednesday, October 5

Ode to Molly



I cannot fail to highlight one person (or dog in this case)each week who has made my move to Philadelphia a very pleasant and rewarding one. For this week, I have chosen Molly, who is Madonna's 10-year-old Australian Shepherd.

How has Molly been able to help you ask? Well, let me begin by saying that for that endless number of very lonely days that I initially spent here at home (that I actually yearn for occasionally at this busy point in life), she remained loyal by occupying the very spot she's in in the picture at the top of the blog. I would sit reading, and she would flop down on the floor, planting herself there for a restful day. So, that was Molly's emotional contribution...

She also encouraged a bit of physical activity as she would interpret some of my moves around the house as playful dog behavior; thus, she would begin doing laps around the coffee table in the living room, barking like a crazy dog. I'm pretty sure that no human being, at heart, can relate to such a gesture. I mean, sometimes we just want to play...right? Best of all, though, she didn't push the whole exertion issue...this whole episode usually wouldn't last more than about 30 seconds, or a minute on good days. Nonetheless, she was a great playmate.

Finally, she totally accompanied me (and still does) on every adventure to the kitchen. While I know in my heart that she was just hoping I'd be a big softy and give her a treat, I'd like to believe she understood the need for companionship/company for meals. So, I would heat up or make a meal for myself (or some vague form of a meal), and she would take in her delectible bowl of dog food.

This marks the end of the first friend spotlight on my blog...just think of where it can go from here if this is just the dog in my life!!! And I can't forget to remind you that blogging is a very self-absorped sort of activity...so while these highlights are about others in my life, I think you will see that this is only a celebration of how others (humans and animals) serve me! [I only mean this half-heartedly :)].

1 comment:

Sara said...

I like Molly because she doesn't jump on you when you walk in the door. I have seen Molly waiting patiently through the window for you and I think the appreciation is mutual.