Wednesday, October 12

The Sushi Adventure


After making my way back to Bryn Mawr yesterday, Sara and I had a very socially productive night.

We started off at a Japanese restaurant down the street called Samurai. This was Sara's first experience with sushi, and I was so happy to get to join her for it. We split the Sushi Appetizer plate, which included tuna, salmon, fluke, crabmeat, and striped bass. I had to break out the chopsticks skills, which are very minimal in my case, in order to join her in her sushi adventure. I warned her that the one other time I tried sushi, I had the occasional issue of getting the strongly fishy-smelling stuff to go down (sorry, but that's about as gross as it will get on this blog). Thankfully, none of it was too bad for either of us until we hit the striped bass. This was the one that they chose to leave the iridescant/blue skin on, and that was the first step towards skepticism for both of us. However, since this outing was explicitly listed as one of our impending adventures, I insisted that we both get it down. It was rough, but as a result, we were able to revel in our sushi experience. We topped the dinner off by splitting the chicken teriyaki entree, which was good but not spectacular.

It's the week of Fall Break, and I think for the first time in a long time, I'm so happy to be out of school mode. It's such a good feeling to enjoy breaks and friends with whom I get to spend that time. I had forgotten for such a long time how much balance matters...

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Thank you for the sushi initiation. It was terrific and wouldn't have enjoyed it with anyone else!