Sunday, April 1

Travels with Steinbeck

I am reading a book right now that has me totally and completely enamored.  Travels with Charley, a travelogue written by the great John Steinbeck, is a beautifully written story.  In the simple and yet eloquent prose of an American master, you gain a glimpse into Steinbeck's desires for simplicity, companionship (both with people and his loyal Poodle, Charley) and a knowledge of authenticity in America.  He didn't want to only know of America what he already knew; instead, he wanted to expand that sphere of comfort and learn of the many fabrics that make up the whole. 

Most of what I've read of Steinbeck is packed with everyday types of characters that absorb my full attention as their stories unfold and dance into the telling of the overall plot.  While my last Steinbeck read, Cannery Row, had a bit more grit to its cast, Travels with Charley has a gentle and sentimental touch to it.  From the descriptions of preparations for the road trip to the meetings with various people along the way, every page includes something that, for me, connects to some of my own most fundamental desires to know more about the world around me.  He elaborates on the importance of not always being glued to a map as you travel and embracing what is to be found along any route.  But, he also reflects on some of the more disappointing realizations as a result of his travels, such as the disconnected nature between people.  Some of this is captured in the guarded waitresses and some is captured in the imagery of the abandoned inn.

I've learned through some brief research that Steinbeck's eldest son posits that this journey was taken because Steinbeck knew he would soon die and wanted to see his country.  This adds, of course, another layer of reflection to the prose and observations.  Also, not dissimilar from the book A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, there has been debate about whether Steinbeck's book can really be qualified as non-fiction.  To this, I say the same as I did about Frey's book:  I don't read a story because it's true or not true.  I read the story for the story.   

While I have not finished the book, I know that this will be one I will hate to complete.  The simple contentment that comes with each turn of the page is a rarity and something to be cherished in a good book.  It's always nice, too, to gain a little insight into the human behind the creator.     

No comments: