Tuesday, June 5

The Harmony to My Melody

Being the lover of music that I am, I have always been able to appreciate good harmony.  Sure, it takes the back seat to the melody most of the time, but just think of how boring and flat music would be without it.  Perhaps a more fascinating subject is that of life's unending harmony.  In life events, there is always the events and happenings at the forefront (melody) and then there are all of those tiny little evolving parts that make up the backdrop for the forefront (harmony).  In recent weeks, months and even years, I've begun to really appreciate this backdrop or harmony.

How many times have you heard people say that while life wasn't being awful to them, they don't feel settled or at peace with how things are?  Maybe they describe the feeling as restless.  Well, my thinking is that this restlessness greatly results from some disconnect within all of those little seemingly insignificant moving parts.  The harmony of life.  The Pips to your Gladys Knight.  Perhaps this will emerge more clearly with a real world example.

For the past six years of my life, I've worked in a role where I never really felt rooted.  I think this greatly came from stumbling into the role by accident.  I stumbled into the role by accident because I had created this future vision for myself, mostly based on the opinions and feedback of others.  So, when I started to move further away from that vision, but was at a junction where I had to support myself and make some sort of progress, I took the first job I was offered.  Once I started that job, it slowly transformed into my career.  And although it's been six years, I have only come to terms with this new future vision in the past several weeks.  But, a large part of coming to terms with my new future vision and planning, has been finding great peace in the smaller moving parts and seemingly insignificant corners.  Basically, life was a bit disconnected to this point for me.  I definitely had my melody, and I had a multi-faceted harmony, but they were in different keys.  I finally have a clear vision as to what I want to do with my time (you know that fleeting time outside of work), who I want to love and how I want to be loved, where and how I want to settle, what truly fills my soul with joy and allowing myself the space to clear time for that experience of joy.   

So, I guess today I am grateful for all of my minor chords and overall harmony.  Who knew that it would only be when the harmony emerged that the melody would have a steady beat to follow?  Life is good.   

No comments: