Tuesday, August 21

A Tribute to Natural Health

In recent months, I've had to tackle some routine but inconvenient health issues.  These were things that had been misdiagnosed and, thus, not treated correctly when it came to medicine for several prior months or even years.  Part of this is my own fault because I always assumed I was young and didn't really need a comprehensive look at my health.  So, I'd travel often to the urgent care center, and if I went to my regular doctor, I'd keep it quick and not really take the time to divulge everything.

Regardless of the variables, I just happened to find a new doctor who is a D.O., doctor of osteopathic medicine.  I've gotten very lucky, too, because she's extremely thorough and, from her many suggestions, she demonstrates that she lives by what she teaches patients.

I've always been somewhat enamored by medicine--probably because I'm somewhat enamored by the body and its miraculous ways.  But, more recently, I've noticed more and more how traditional medicine really does rely a lot on prescription medications.  While these can be lifesavers, I really don't want to be dependent on them at 30 years of age...I'm sure my time will eventually come.  

So, given the chance to get established with a D.O., I jumped at the opportunity.  I had been to one other one previously, while living in New Jersey, and she practiced no differently from any other M.D. I'd gone to.  Going into this new situation, as a result, left me pretty pessimistic.  But, to my surprise, Dr. Jennifer Burns is the real deal.  She works as a part of a larger practice, run by local veteran practitioner--Dr. James Comerci.  Her approach has been extremely thorough (investigating all possibilities through simple testing like blood panels), but as she has tried to connect the dots on things, she's also given me amazing resources to work with in the meantime.  While this approach requires a little more patience and time, I feel so much more comfortable adding natural elements to my lifestyle rather than making a trip to the pharmacy for some new addition to the medicine cabinet.  She has started teaching me about incorporating targeted supplements, dietary support and behavioral/lifestyle changes.  Best of all?  Using them in combination has really started to improve the biggest challenges I was facing, and I feel much more energetic overall.

While I'm sure there will be times that require more traditional approaches to health problems, I'm really enjoying this new approach to overall health and preventative care.  It's much more engaging on my part, and it doesn't require quite so much faith in everyone and everything else but me. 

No comments: