Friday, November 10

Resurrection

Four Years.  It's been four years since my last tribute to life, and the present feels ripe for a resurrection. I am inspired today for a couple of reasons.

First, the West Virginia mountains. In fall. Today, I took an unexpected drive. As the sun climbed up into the sky, it shone its spotlight on the majestic remaining colors of the mountains. I've been a bit busy these days, and it reminded me that I really need to look up more often and appreciate. There is something about the crisp fall air (borderline arctic today), the equally crisp blue sky, bright sunshine and mountains that grab my heart and stop my breath. It was kind of hard not to veer off track and speed to one of my favorite spots--Coopers Rock--to get out into the air and visit with the mountains. West Virginia has a lot of room for improvement if you consult the various rankings of U.S. states for a wide array of sociopolitical issues. But, I would put it right at the top for its abundant beauty and generous offerings of nature.


Second, people. There are many good people. Don't let the news and click bait stories on the web convince you otherwise. People are good, and our survival as a species depends on us each propagating that goodness. I have seen many examples of people loving hard and caring for one another. I have experienced it first-hand. As a new mom, living on my own, my list of needs from others has skyrocketed. As I welcomed this amazing little human into my life, I realized lots of other things in my life had to shift. I've had friends and family love me hard through this time. I've also been witness to how much love and compassion others are capable of showing. My extended work family, those helping me keep up care of my dogs, those willing to take on care for my cat...and last but not least, those who simply stop to ask how the day is going. It's so hard sometimes to step outside of the narrative that has been constructed for us via the various forms of media. But, humans are not so bad most of the time. 

Because life nudged me today, the tributes must resume. The small moments that compose life must be captured. Relished. Recorded. And so, it will be.   

No comments: