Saturday, October 15

Borders Madness

Back in West Virginia, I always laughed at those individuals who would venture out into the crazy after-Thanksgiving and pre-Christmas crowds. The news footage always made these shoppers seem like crazed animals on the hunt for their prey while in reality they were simply desperate to find the perfect toy for their toddler or the last copy of the top-selling video game for their teen. After the incredible turnout for Educator Savings weekend at Borders, though, I think I'm realizing that this shopping frenzy is not specific to my native land. I admit that 25% is great savings, but these buyers were serious...it was like they had been keeping a list for months in anticipation of this weekend.

A very kind Borders employee named Susan was kind of in charge of the events for the evening, and she began announcing door prizes for those who had entered. As I passed by her station, I heard a woman telling her that she had been sick all day, taking Tylenol like candy, and the fact that she won proved to her that it was the right decision to drag herself out of the grips of the vicious fall flu to grab her savings. Who knew that Borders could do so much for one's well being?

And I might as well throw this one in since it's along the lines of Borders work. There are numerous carts in the back room for the various sections of the store (Fiction, Religion, History, etc.), and I was assigned what is referred to as the Religion cart. What I found to be completely ironic is that the Religion cart also houses the materials from the Sex and Erotica section...at the very least, this paradox provided a laugh for me during this 8.5 hour Borders evening. And after spending some quality time with Molly, I am off to bed...at last.

No comments: