Monday, December 26

A Look Back at 2005

In preparation for a new year, I would like to take some time to look at 2005 in retrospect, recording the highlights and celebrating the changes the seemed to lurk around many corners. Overall, I'd say 2005 has been one of the best years of my life, so I hope the tales I have to tell are entertaining and good reading, too.

In January of 2005, I was still roaming the halls of Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, WV. The spring term was quite stressful due to graduation in May and senior thesis up until then. But, February proved great in that I competed in the West Virginia University Literary Research Symposium and took third place, which on the state level seemed pretty acceptable in my mind. I got to spend the last months as a WJU undergrad, enjoying good times with friends and living up the last days of undergrad life--something I'd later realize was far different from graduate life. In any case, I enjoyed the term, and I thoroughly enjoyed the graduation festivities--who am I kidding? I love any excuse for festivities. I spent the summer teaching at the English Language Institute at Wheeling Jesuit, and I had the opportunity meet so many wonderful international students and very gifted ESL teachers.


Then came August...time for my big move to Bryn Mawr, PA, and Villanova University. What a great blessing it was that I could do this. I remember the day I was driving out with all of my stuff in the back of my car and Pamela in my passenger seat. While I never led her to believe that I was that stunned that I went through with it (in fact, I spent some time trying to convince her otherwise), I kept feeling as though I needed to be pinching myself. But, it was such an exciting time, and it has only proven to get better every week that I live there. School, while admittedly a huge challenge, has been a very cool experience. This new experience in a new setting and with new peers, etc., has proven to me in a major way that EVERYTHING in life is only what you make of it. I squandered away some time during my first semester, but I can now see that I'm on the right track (there were definitely days of doubts). I love Villanova--mainly because it's challenging, intellectually stimulating, and can't be beaten as far as aesthetic beauty goes (this matters!).


The other portion of my transition came in the form of work. I went from a very cushy job as a writing tutor at WJU, to a teacher (rather cushy also), to a bookseller at Borders. In both of my first two jobs, I now feel as though I was rather sheltered. The retail world is a very demanding setting, but it's also a great challenge. I always swore that I could NEVER sell anything...however, I've learned that I can do it with things that I adore--like books. So, my job at Borders has been very rewarding, and it has been so in several ways. First, as alluded to, it has taught me much about myself. It has forced me out of my shell when it comes to strangers, and it has really improved my people skills in general. Second, and even more important due to my new geographical location, it has proven the main place where I have met some fantastic friends. The normal group--Liza, Jen, Sara, Greg--all hail from there, and I'm thankful each and every day that I had the opportunity to meet them all. So, the world of Borders and Villanova have basically passed the last bit of 2005 time for me. And I can say at this point, now that I have made it through the initial months, that I am fully satisfied with 2005 and the way it has unfolded for me. There's nothing like being able to turn around and see a long road that you have made great progress on...that road being life of course. I'm not sure I can ever stay stagnant again because change is now sort of an addiction for me--it's like a rush each time I do something outside of my comfort zone.

So, here's to many more years of happiness, peace, good times with others, personal growth, and many many life lessons.

No comments: