Wednesday, May 30

Humorous (Never-ending) Cause & Effect

Life is full of cause and effect.  However, the humor behind some cause and effect became very real to me the other night as I struggled with a simple household chore.

Several months ago, when I purchased my new puppy, I decided I needed to immediately go out and buy some area rugs for my living room.  My thinking stemmed from "new mom" alarm about the puppy constantly slip-sliding on the hardwood floor.  That alarm was further fed by the evil, nasty collection of information easily found on none other than the internet.  While one day perusing the information offerings on raising large breed dogs, I came across this web site that is purportedly maintained by a very knowledgeable and respectable "expert."  Without question, I classified her as such, and as I read on, I gathered that it is a really terrible thing for large breed dogs to do pretty much anything on a hardwood surface.  It seemed,  from reading, that even a full-body, inflatable suit would not protect them from permanent joint damage as a result of hardwood floors.  What didn't help me in processing this information was that my puppy had already started to mimic the ways of a child on a Slip n Slide with each entry into the living room space.  His legs would do just about anything but remain underneath of him, so within hours of finishing this very informative reading, I headed out to buy the first decent set of area rugs I could find.  Unfortunately, Wheeling does not offer very posh options in this area, so I hit Target for their best offerings.  I was actually very pleased with what I found there...until weeks after the purchase. 

In the next phase of this cause and effect scenario, the dog issue was pretty much solved.  He quickly learned to seek carpeted territory before coming to a stop on the floor, and his next conclusion was that if he was running too quickly to stop on the carpeted area, he would go with plan B, which was to cannonball onto his bed.  Problem solved?  Not exactly.

I am a lifelong lover of vacuuming.  One of the quickest ways to feel like your living space is clean is to vacuum.  Following this desire, I got out the Oreck not too long after laying the area rugs.  Since the area rugs are wool, my vacuum quickly became an offering plate for wool piling.  I was able to remove all of the wool fibers pretty easily, but not long after, the tumbleweed gatherings of wool carpet fibers made their first appearance.  At this point in time, I'm doing a full house collection of wool tumbleweed about every other day (if I can stand to wait that long!).  Even though I never did vacuum the rugs again with my Oreck, it collects all fibers in the rest of the house, so then when I try to vacuum the bedroom carpet, which is plush, all of the beautiful balls of wool fiber stay behind on the floor, which may look even worse than straight out dirt on the floor. 

And so, as I was doing this routine vacuuming in my bedroom over the weekend, I laughed to myself.  I followed my impulse to buy a dog.  That led me to researching best practices in caring for him.  That led me to this stupid web site, which led me to buy terrible wool rugs from Target.  And the purchase of rugs led me to vacuum their nappy surface, which left my vacuum infested with wool.  Because my vacuum is now infested with wool, I will probably have to buy a new vacuum so that the constant presence of wool piling on the plush carpet doesn't drive me completely insane.  What I'm wondering is what will come after that?  It seems impossible that the purchase of a new vacuum won't cause some unforeseeable result, but what could that possibly be?  All I can hope is that the outcome brings me a little laugh as the outcomes have to this point. 

No comments: