Wednesday, May 16

Playing in the Dirt


I'm convinced that the desire to grow stuff in the earth is passed down through generations.  I had it coming from both sides of my family.  I'm sure this stretches back much further than I can recall, but I fondly recall the pride in my Pap Brown's eyes as he talked about his peach trees and flower and vegetable beds.  My dad also wields a green thumb.  Every summer, he nudges along beautifully full hanging baskets and a bustling tomato garden.  This year, it is my turn to enter the unforgiving waters of gardening obsession. 

Part of this transition, for me, has been moving into a single family house rather than apartment dwelling.  The other part is renting that home from someone who has given me free reign to do what I want, when I want, and however I want to do it.  Granted, it would be amazing to have just a little more space to live within, but the sprawling yard and freedom to plant and beautify is great!

We had limited ourselves to tomato plants and hanging baskets--the basics--because we lack important stuff like gardening tools to prepare ground for gardening.  However, last weekend, after I finished cutting grass, the amazingly gracious neighbor had her tiller out and offered not only the tiller but her tilling services to expand our possibilities!  Now, we have two plots which will house tomato plants. cucumber plants, pepper plants, basil and a small assortment of zinnia flowers!  Thank you, kind neighbor! 

Pictured above is our fledgling tomato plants and our yet-to-be-planted flower and other veggie/herb assortment.  I greatly anticipate tracking progress throughout the summer.  There's so much to love about planting--playing in the dirt, chatting about gardening with neighbors, playing in the dirt and tracking progress--that I can't imagine having had to wait any longer to get started.    Good, clean fun to promote good, clean eating. 

No comments: